You have a new site and it’s been optimized for good SEO, so you think you’re done with that and you can move on? Well, SEO is never finished!
Why work often on SEO? Blame the algorithms!
Search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, to name the only the top ones, modify their search algorithms several times a year. So if your site’s SEO was made when it was created and it’s more than 2 years ago, a small update would be appropriate.
SEO, complicated or not?
For those who believe that SEO is simple, be aware that there are more than 200 factors that influence SEO such as text length, language level, content and more.
There is no real secret, the information is available on the Internet for self-learners. However, the advice of a professional can save you a lot of time, and as in all other trades, the fees are directly related to hours of learning and upgrades. So beware of low budget SEO packages.
Tips and tricks
Here are some concrete things to do to improve your SEO
For your domain name (example.com):
- Strengthen its longevity: Your domain name should be registered for the next two years at a minimum (which sends the message that you believe in your business).
- Have a top-level domain (abbreviated as TLD) from the country where you practice: .ca, .us, .uk, and so on.
- Have a public and non-private “WHOIS” registry. Concealing the contact information of a domain name is badly perceived by the search engines. On the other hand, adjust your information to avoid possible future headaches with contact information specifically created for a public display (eg: firstname.lastname@example.org).
For each page of your website:
- Use keywords in the title of the page. So, if the page talks about kittens, using a title like “Little Hair Balls” will not really help you.
- Grammar and spelling errors will penalize you enormously. Have your texts reread !!!
- Pay special attention to the content. It must be interesting and relevant to the reader and contain your keywords, placed strategically for search engines. In addition, new content shows that your website is not abandoned or left on the back burner.
- The loading speed of the page; note that each page is evaluated independently.
For the full website:
- Have a mandatory SSL certification (HTTPS), see the post on this topic
- Have contact information
- The location of the server affects the speed of the site, see the article on this topic
- Is the site adaptive, ie compatible with browsing on mobile devices?
- External links that refer to your website (backlinks) of quality
- The active use of social networks demonstrates public interest in search engines, increasing your credibility.
In short, SEO is not rocket science, but it takes time and management. Your SEO policy should be constantly evolving, according to your needs and your communication plan.
You would like to know if your site is referenced or you do not know where to start? Concept C can help you! We offer an audit service to evaluate your site and those of the competitors.